More than 230 were killed in Santa Maria when smoke engulfed a crowded club and panicked partiers headed for a single exit.
2. WHERE NEWS OF THE FIRE HIT HOME IN THE US
Memories are still fresh in Warwick, R.I., the scene of pyrotechnics-sparked nightclub blaze that killed 100 in 2003.
3. MORSI’S ANGRY CALL FOR CALM IN EGYPT
Taking to TV, the president warns he’ll do whatever is necessary to quell three days of unrest that has left more than 50 dead.
4. THE STARK NUMBERS ON AMERICAN ELDER ABUSE
As many as 1 in 10 seniors may suffer some form of injury, exploitation or neglect, a number that could climb as Baby Boomers age.
5. THE SURPRISING REACH OF ACTIVITY IN THE WORLD’S CITIES
6. WHO’S MAKING A SCORE ON GAS DRILLING
Private landowners are reaping billions in royalties from the U.S. boom, transforming lives and livelihoods in more than a dozen states.
7. HOW SOME KIDS ARE BEING TAUGHT BETTER IN REVERSE
In the technology-driven “flipped learning,” classroom lectures becomes the homework and school time is for practice.
8. IT’S OK TO USE YOUR PHONE IN THESE THEATERS
As long as you’re in the “tweet seats,” a growing number of venues, including some on Broadway, are good with real-time uses of social media.
9. ANNE HATHAWAY PICKS UP SAG HONOR
The best-supporting actress prize for “Les Miserables” boosts her prospects for the Academy Awards.
10. THE TWO FACES YOU COULD SEE THE MOST ON SUPER SUNDAY
Jack and Jackie Harbaugh, parents of the opposing coaches in the Ravens-49ers matchup, will be sought after by CBS-TV‘s parent cam.
Sign up for The Brenner Brief newsletter! Free subscription; unsubscribe any time. Connect with conservative, alternative media — we are “rendering the mainstream media useless” at TheBrennerBrief.com!