I’m going to be president for the next four years. I hope.
He was warning Republicans that, yes, they’d have to deal with him for a while. But it was, to be sure, a strange moment. Could he actually have been joking about assassination? About impeachment? The apocalypse? Or has everyone just had enough of these negotiations?
Maybe Obama is worried about the future – we don’t know. But, it seems the media clung to this comment more than the laughing attendees or the jovial atmosphere in the room as the nation was teetering on the edge of a cliff, and about to fall over. It seems that President Obama really is making himself the center of attention, whether it’s by making us wondering about whether he fears assassination or by surrounding himself with people who laugh with glee in his presence.
Obama’s “idol” character would be well served by dropping its arrogance and actually leading.
- No, not an “Assassination Reference” (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Fear of ‘lone wolf’ assassin turns Obama ceremony into a nightmare for security forces (thetimes.co.uk)
- US woman fired for ‘may be Obama gets assassinated this term’ post on Facebeook (indiavision.com)
- Did Obama Just Make an Assassination Reference? (theatlanticwire.com)
- Obama: I don’t compare myself to Lincoln (usatoday.com)