The U.S. experienced a terrorist attacks this year in Benghazi, Libya on the anniversary of September 11th. Four American lives were lost. After three months of conflicting storylines from the White House and Obama administration, and with minimal analysis and reporting from the mainstream media, much remains unknown.
These were terrorist attacks, plural, and there were two on September 11-12, 2012. The first assault occurred at the main compound, which served as a U.S. Consulate, at about 9:40 pm local time. The second assault took place at the nearby CIA annex at about 4 am the following morning.
Last week the State Department released their own “independent” Accountability Review Board (ARB) report which determined “the attacks were security related.” there were “systemic failures and leadership and management deficiencies at senior levels within two bureaus of the State Department,” and they “demonstrated a lack of proactive leadership and management ability in their responses to security concerns posed by Special Mission Benghazi.” Despite the severity of the findings, “the Board did not find reasonable cause to determine that any individual U.S. government employee breached his or her duty.”
This is an interesting point because, in the wake of the ARB report, four State Department officials have either resigned or been relieved of their duties. This, and everything else associated with Benghazi, seems to be convoluted. We’re not sure exactly who the four people are, or, if they in fact resigned or were relieved.
The Accountability Review Board (ARB) report also listed 29 recommendations ,all of which Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has accepted from the comfort of her home where she is recovering from a head injury. In her place, two Deputies provided closed-door congressional testimony on the ARB report and its’ findings and recommendations. Under oath, both William Burns and Thomas Nides acknowledged that mistakes were made and promised they could do better. They also said they were working quickly to implement the 29 recommendations from the ARB report — some of which may be before the end of the year.
Today marks the second time Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has successfully dodged questioning on Benghazi. Her office has stated she will testify in mid-January, but given her track record, that remains to be seen. She successfully avoided testimony in October due to a schedule conflict that included a wine tasting trip in Australia. Now in December she has used a concussion related to a slip and fall event last Saturday. She has employed similar tactics in the past, too. In 1993 following the death of Vince Foster, a staff member in Bill Clinton’s administration, she successfully evaded and stonewalled her way out of testifying or even cooperating with the investigation.
It is critical to get Secretary Clinton to testify while she still holds the office of Secretary of State because she cannot hide behind the Fifth Amendment. If she is successful in delaying testimony until she is out of office, she can use the Fifth Amendment.
Former CIA chief General David Petraeus‘ testimony before the Senate and House intelligence committees on November 16th seemed to raise more questions. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will appear before the House Committee on Foreign Affairs to discuss, in an open hearing, the findings and the recommendations of the report.
The next article in this Benghazi series by Jeffrey Kibler will discuss any new information that becomes available as well as the idea that the fuse for World War II has already been lit.
- Breaking Down the Benghazi Attack (thebrennerbrief.com)
- Confused About Benghazi? (thebrennerbrief.com)
- No For Real Actually : Sec. of State Hillary Clinton to testify on Benghazi in mid-January (maybe?) (tarpon.wordpress.com)
- Rep. Allen West says Hillary Clinton caught “Benghazi flu” (redalertpolitics.com)
- Charles Krauthammer: Hillary Clinton “Seems to Have a Severe Benghazi Allergy” (foxnewsinsider.com)